Friday, August 13, 2010

Sleepless in America...

This is written by Westin The Incredible.

So... they are going to ruin my favorite comic-book-super-hero of all time - Captain America. A lot of you probably don't care about this nerdy crap, but it has been weighing on my mind. I don't usually post about all my opinions that swim around in my exceptional mind but this is worthy for posting and is mostly for my therapeutic benefit.

While going into this, just realized my opinions are correct... please trust me, I have knowledge of the Marvel Universe and I study film, so when the two are combined it equals correct opinions. (If you want insight on comic book heroes and their movies you can talk to me or my brother-in-law Jared (Heidi's husband), he knows his stuff, but for Captain America you talk to me, as he is under the impression that Batman is better.

Why I love Captain America

Too hard to tell on a blog. You can ask me in person if you get the chance. I have loved him from the first Captain America comic book I read. I love our country. I love that he is a natural leader, I can't really explain why. I am a HUGE Spider-Man fan, but even Spidey, along with all of the Marvel heroes, view him as an authority figure. I have a strong, almost-equal love for both Spidey and the Cap, my juvenile side loves the Spidey, while my epicureanistic side admires the devotion of Captain America.

What makes me so nervous about the upcoming movie?

I am afraid... really afraid. I have been losing more sleep than usual because of this. The standard film making routine worries me. Will the actors, directors and everyone involved do a good job? Is the story going to be lost in all the special effects or cheap jokes? Overall, will they tell the story in a good manner? Just to set the record straight: I am not one of these nerds that is critical about how true they stay to the comics BUT I hope they stay true to the characters. Spider-man for example: I do not mind that Peter Parker's web shooters were organic rather that small capsules that fit into Peter-made apparatuses on his wrists like the comics depict. Let's understand that certain shortcuts MUST be taken when shifting from various mediums into film (this goes for books too, so don't criticize a film too quickly in that regard unless they change the overall essence of the story). Now there are two things that concern me, his costume and his allegiance.

Costume

I have a right to worry when they release THIS concept art with rumors that this will be close to what we see in the film.

What is with the suspenders? And cheap little "A" and... the severe lack of wings!!! LAME!



Lame.


Lame.


Lame. This one really shows off the suspenders.

Luckily, at Comic-Con, Kevin Feige (producer) was quick to point out that this is still just a test version of the suit and that the suit is something that's unequivocally the Captain America uniform, but can fit the time period.

Let me explain the wings. You either like Captain America or you don't. If you are in the group that likes Captain America, you either like him with wings on his head or you have learned to like him despite the wings. Those who don't like the Cap are probably Nazis and, unless there is a minor fourth group who don't like the Cap but DO like his wings, that's it. The wings need to stay! They won't hurt anything for those who like the Cap, but the lack of wings will hurt... bad. If you don't agree, just know that the wings represent the "Spirit of Freedom" so let that weigh on your conscious before you say anything against.

Here is a picture Of Captain America in his fictional prime. See the wings and the strong "A". This guy looks like a warrior in any time period and not some modernized space ranger.
Original art by Jason Metcalf, and digital paint by (Jeremy Roberts)


Allegiance

...to the flag. I know how awesome it is for people to hate America these days, but seeings how this is Captain AMERICA I thought we could set aside the destructive "hating ourselves" phase we find ourselves in and hold true to the values that have kept us alive. I worry when director Joe Johnston says Captain America, "wants to serve his country, but he's not this sort of jingoistic American flag-waver" full story. Now Joe doesn't have a lot of big hits under his belt so he is on thin ice for me. As for the rest of you... please you guys, just this once, can we have pride in our great nation? We enjoy so many freedoms. I want to preserve what our country was founded on. That's what Captain America would have wanted.

8 comments:

Leisa said...

WOW i have totally been educated. I'll always stand by you my bro- I love America.And the American flag too. And that's about all i have to say about that.

Jared said...

Here is an image from IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm701202432/tt0458339

I somewhat agree about the wings, but I think the idea is that Captain America is in his early stages of "Hero" development, meaning he hasn't earned his wings yet. At least, I could only hope...

Jared said...

One more thing. The Captain America sackboy in Little Big Planet has wings and a nice large wide A on his helmet.

Anonymous said...

Nazis?

I guess that is what Captain America is fighting to defend. But not everything that can be said should.

Heidi said...

Well, it will be interesting to see what happens...

Sharon said...

I'm with you on the wings....the wings should stay!

~Mindy~ said...

You're a bigger nerd than me! :) No I totally agree with the wings - they need to stay. And I really hate the suspenders and the brown leather gloves and boots they have in the pictures - they should stick with the red, white and blue mantra.

And as for the "flag-waver" - he SHOULD be a flag waiver! He represents and fights for the freedoms of this country, so why would he not pledge his allegiance to the flag? It's not like it will clash with his uniform or something, I mean, come on! Why take that aspect out?

Okay, rant over. I enjoy the nerd posts. :)

MJS said...

In the prototypes of Captain America, the helmet looks pretty lame. Maybe wings would help it look better. Besides, I like the idea they represent - the "Spirit of Freedom". We need a lot more of that spirit in our country right now!